20090529

Thursday 28th May

Barlaston to Kidsgrove

Set off early on a warmer day with little wind. At the first lock I discovered I was not the first boat going north, and was following them all day, ending up mooring behind them for the night.

Stopped for gas at Etruria then carried on to Longport where I moored on the 24hr moorings. The pub I chose no longer does real ale, one pub was boarded up, and the other was closed and up for sale. So I ended up having lunch on board.

After my late lunch I carried on to Harecastle tunnel. I had to wait an hour, but was the first in the queue to go through in a convoy of three. I got through in about 35 minutes despite having to slow down to lower the exhaust a few times.

Moored for the night just east of Poole aqueduct. Went to the Red Bull pub to eat. They had an extensive selection of fish dishes. I went for the Smoked Haddock and Leek sausages! with mash and veg. Excellent. I could have stayed for another Robinsons beer but the sweet menu didn't inspire me and the Blue Bell was calling. I don't think I have ever been in this pub despite its presence in the GBG for years. It never does food and is not open weekday lunchtimes. However it is well worth visiting, even if it isn't folk night.

No comments: