20070602

Friday 1st June

Godalming to Guildford

I was rudely awoken not long after 6am by builders on a site which had been very quiet yesterday.

Winded by the boat house as I did not want to risk winding by the town bridge again without crew. Set off slowly for Guildford. There were no hire boats out in the morning as it was turn round day at the boatyards.

At the second lock, which was set against me, I decided to risk going into the lock through one gate. But the waterways officer, who appeared on foot, caught me at it and offered to open the other one.

Moored on the non towpath side above the Guildford Rowing Club and went to the Keystone for lunch.

Then I explored the town, finding the castle, visiting M&S and finally traipsing all the way to the cathedral. I purchased a CD featuring the organ and caught a bus back into town.

In the evening I went to see a Flanders and Swan show at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre. I had an interview here 29 years ago.

No comments: