Once boats were on the move I set off to turn round and go back to Ellesmere arm.
Caught the 12.30 bus to Gobowen station. I bought a saver return which turned out to be more expensive than when I checked 3 weeks ago. I was told that it was valid either through Manchester or Birmingham. As I had just missed a Chester train and there wasn't another for 2 hours, I decided to go via Birmingham.
Popped into the nearest pub for a quick pint whilst waiting for a train to Shrewsbury which was running half an hour late. Caught a train there to Birmingham New Street which was air conditioned. Had 5 minutes in Birmingham to get the 1530 Newcastle train. This was a Virgin Voyager so there was the usual confusion over seat reservations. The air conditioning on this was too cold so I didn't manage to get a nap. On leaving the train at Sheffield I noticed that the other end of the carriage was a lot warmer and the vestibule was very hot.
The 1644 Lincoln train was advertised as being late so I was hoping to catch that, however it never ran. Something to do with a broken down train at Kiveton. The 1718 did turn up and we got on it but were told to go to the front of the station. As there were no coaches there I checked on the status of the 1744, and that was advertised as running from platform 3. We got on this when it arrived only to have to get off again, and go to platform 5. Finally we were in luck.
Drove home from Shireoaks.
No comments:
Post a Comment